All reports of mold in College facilities are inspected by Facilities and Operations along with Environmental, Health, and Safety. Per Matt Hammerstone, supervisor of environmental, health, and safety, a few minor, isolated areas of mold growth were identified in recent inspections, but the majority have shown no signs of mold growth or conditions favorable for it.
Mold spores can be found almost anywhere and are naturally present in both indoor and outdoor environments. Mold spores can’t be eliminated from the indoor environment. We bring them in with us on our shoes and clothing and when we open a window. These normal levels of mold do not typically cause health problems. If mold starts to grow indoors, concentrations can rise and increase the risk to occupants. The good news is that we can prevent mold growth by controlling moisture. The steps outlined below will help maintain an optimal environment.
Steps taken by the College
In order to provide a safe and healthy environment, the College does the following to identify and control mold growth and conditions that negatively impact indoor air quality:
Steps students can take
Reporting a concern
To report an indoor air-quality problem or concern, contact Facilities Operations at 610-330-5373. Facilities Operations will work with Environmental, Health, and Safety to conduct a visual inspection of the area. If mold growth or conditions for it are identified, the affected area will be cleaned and disinfected immediately, the underlying issues that caused the mold growth will be corrected, and recommendations will be provided to prevent any recurrence.